Sunday, October 08, 2006

NYWC Day Three

It is lunch time in Austin at the National Youth Workers Convention and I thought I would fire off a blog entry before returning to our workshops. We just finished our general session which featured: Jars of Clay, Taylor Morgan (Comedian), The Skit Guys, Shane and Shane (worship leaders) and the featured speaker, Sharon Cohn. Ms. Cohn is from the International Justice Mission. This is a great organization that helps the poor, enslaved and those who cannot help themselves. Their website is: www.ijm.org, check it out.

I am amazed at how, for lack of a better word, AWESOME this event is. It is first class in every way, from the entertainment to the speakers, to the bands, to the seminars right down to the facility. This Austin Convention Center is amazing, it is huge. I am just loving the whole thing. I have taken a couple of photos to give you an idea of how big and beautiful it is, I hope it gives you an idea. Youth Specialties have done an outstanding job with this whole event, bravo !

I was thinking this morning how "unchurch like" this event really is. I mean you have the hosts walking around in tshirts, shorts and flip-flops taking the main stage in front of 3000 giving a Bible message. You have youth workers hootin and hollerin from the floor, you have a comedian who uses puppets right before the main speaker. I mean I have actually laughed out loud, right out load on several occasions during the talks and music time. The building is not churchy and the feel is not churchy at all. So then why do I feel so connected to God? I think the answer to that question may help us answer the questions some of us have regarding the change that might occur in our little church at 3309 Neely.

I have to tell you that I have felt so connected to God since I have gotten here. I have had a great time, even though I have been by myself. I think the reason is because there is an authenticity here that is palpable. I have not thought about what to wear (t shirt and shorts is enough), I have not been self-conscious during worship(don't tell anyone but I have had my hand in the air, sometimes even two) and I have felt relaxed and engaged during the (get this, 45 minute talks) messages, even if I disagree with the speaker. Why? Because the spirit of the Lord is here! He is moving, differently for each person I suspect, but moving nonetheless with a ferocity that is beyond wordy definition.

Yesterday I went through an AIDS epitome that Compassion International has set up. They did an awesome job of setting up an experiential "thing" that made me more aware of the AIDS epidemic in Africa than anything I have yet seen. In fact, after I went through this they asked if I would like a bracelet to remind me of the crisis. I said yes, and not only yes, but yes and what can we do? I have had other experiences since I have been here that have spoken to me of the need of "EXPERIENCE". We can no longer talk about it, we must DO it.

The change that is coming is being done inside of me, not something I do, but something I am becoming. I urge you to consider this too as we begin the "change" process. I wish all of you could attend this event, or something like it, to fully understand what I mean because I think it takes us getting out of our comfort zone to want to change. It is not about what we do as much as about who we are. We all have journey to traverse, the church should be a help to you in yours. I encourage you to begin, I have started my journey, will you come with me? Until later, be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Todd--this is really your time. Soak up as much as you can and squeeze it out on us when you get back. I hope you are taking lots of notes so you don't forget a thing. Of course, as you say, the most important change is what's happening inside you. Let God do everything he desires in you then he can do anything through you! Can't wait to talk to you more about the implications for Our Savior's. How do we experience the truth of God? That's a question I have been asking too. Ephesians 3:17-21

Are you getting any ideas for our ARC Gathering? I would like to see us do an equally good job of encouraging, inspiring and refreshing God's people so they can be better equipped to advance the Kingdom. Robert