Thursday, October 05, 2006

I'm in Austin and My Head is Spinning

I made it into Austin right around 1:00 pm this afternoon. I got left a little later (I did have to stop for coffee a time or two though - see photo for my "coffee bar") than I wanted to, but did get in time to make it to the first seminar. Actually I am a day early. The conference doesn't officially start until tomorrow. Today they had what they call, Critical Concern, courses. These are seminars within the conference on timely and important topics. They had over 10 to pick from, so the choice was not easy.

I chose, digital discipleship: transforming teens through today's "techknowledgy". It was excellent! I fancy myself pretty "tech" savvy. Today I didn't think so! My head is still spinning from all of the information I learned. We had a five hour session today and will finish up tomorrow morning with three more hours. After which, the conference officially starts!

But back to the seminar today. We touched on several different technical topic. Among them, using technology to enhance your ministry - not replace it with techno gadgets, technical information on ports and other hardware on each computer and which is best and why, major ingredients of technology in ministry, presentation software and how to use it including incorporating audio and video files with it, how to use digital photography most effectively (got some great ideas here), avoiding common tech mistakes, and finally creating, shooting and editing video. This one was the most interesting.

It is amazing how much you can do with video in ministry, especially youth ministry. This has the potential to be a real catalyst to growth in numbers. So many of the youth and youth groups across the country are using this medium to add to their events and the adults events. I am eager to get going with this and begin to use it to create some interest and do some teaching.


One thing I did hear that made a huge impact on me was how important it is to be technologically relevant. Our youth have the biggest, latest and best of the electronic world. When they go to school they have the newest TV's, video systems, computers and audio equipment among other stuff. Then when they go home their equipment is even better plus most of them have the latest phone with every option available on it.

And then they come to church and see equipment (if there is any) that was outdated when their parents were teens. It sends the message that this place is old and outdated, what can it possibly have to offer to me? But on the other hand if they walk into a church with a good sound and video system (in the youth area too), plus a relevant presentation using the medium of today, then we say that we are relevant!

I agree with Jay Delp and Joel Lusz (today's presenters, check them out on the web) that effective youth ministry will be hard to do, not impossible, but an uphill battle if we don't recognize that we live in a era of technology and if we don't use it we will lose this generation. What do you think?

Well I better get going, early call tomorrow. It starts and 7 in the morning and it won't finish until midnight tomorrow evening. I did want to tell you that this convention center is enormous! There will be thousands of people attending 2 general sessions and choosing form over 20 different seminars tomorrow. This is an excellent event, wish you were here. Here is a picture of it, pretty cool isn't it?

Let me know what you think, see you in the blog tomorrow.

6 comments:

danielmarie said...

Sounds like you started off early with some interesting and though provoking ideas todd.
While I was reading your post about using videos with youth ministries I was wondering if we could maybe incorporate videos during the lunch bunch. Maybe a group of those kinds would be interesting in getting involved with making the video and later we could show short clips each week. With a good message obviously, but created by the teens themselves or the youth froup or confirmation kids. Anyway, just a wild and raw idea.
Have a good night and have fun tomorrow. God bless you. Dan&Marie

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are going well. It sounds like this is exactly what God wants you to hear and learn about because it is right up your alley. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow on what all you have learned. We do miss you though! I'll speak with you later!
Love, Melissa (Your devoted wife!)

Anonymous said...

Looks like the technology spot is right up your ally!!!!!!!!! I am praying for you and hope your head is spinning slower today! This blog thing is strange. It makes me think of slog, like slogging through some deep mud out hunting. Who came up with the name blog anyway!!!!!!

John Starck

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are gathering lots of ideas. We are so glad that you are able to attend this conference.

Anonymous said...

I agree with John. Sounds like this technology session was right up your alley.

Just popped in to let you know I am reading. Pick up lots of good info for us and lets put it to use.

(gee - this is my first response ever to a blog. Technology is comin' to get me!)

Anonymous said...

Good Idea, Daniel. This is JustJanet but I forgot my password.