Friday, October 06, 2006

Day Two at NYWC



It is late, after 11:00 pm, and I have to admit I am tired. What a day! It was a day full of variety and emotion. The morning started in Austin traffic at 7:30 am and then the completion of my class on technology. That class was worth the price of admission all by itself.

Thankfully I didn't go home after it, but opted to stay. After a lunch on Austin's famous sixth street I attended my first general session. It was awesome! The Dave Crowder band played, Jared Hall performed some great tricks and we heard a sermon delivered by an incredibly gifted preacher from New Jersey by the name of, Buster Soaries. Google him he is a fascinating man that God has placed his hand on to do incredibly great stuff. I took a photo of the inside of the meeting hall, I hope you can see the setup in the picture I took. It is rather dark, but the stage and room are first class. There are almost 3000 youth workers here, amazing.

After the first session I went to a good seminar on outreach events and then took a break before returning to the evening session that featured a speaker from England, Mike Pilavachi. He was awesome as well. I had a treat at the evening session: Brian Langhoff is in town and I invited him to come over to hear the Dave Crowder band, it was good to see him. He abandoned me after the band played for his girlfriend, can't say as I blame him. After that I headed back to the hotel to take in all of what I have learned so far.

I have taken in a great amount of content, heard some great music, met some interesting people, laughed out loud, worshipped deeply and ate some really bad-for-you-food. But with all of that, the best thing was a surprise. I have come to feel as if I belong at OSLC doing exactly what I am doing. What a gift to have your calling confirmed! I could hear God speaking to me through the music, the prayers and through my seeking saying, "This is who you are Todd, go and do your work well". Thank you Lord!

I usually dread these conferences. Most of them are boring and full of speakers who drone on about their theories and I usually leave feeling pretty inadequate that you can't grow your group to 1 million in two months like they did. But this time it is different, the conference is refreshingly honest and designed for the user, me, not the speakers. I dislike being away from home, I always miss Missy so much and the kiddies too. And while that is true this time as well, I feel as if this is time well spent and worth the hardship on both myself and Missy (mostly Missy). When you see her on Sunday hug her for me please.

Better get to bed, it is almost midnight and I have to be up at 6:00 am. I love hearing from you, keep it up. More tomorrow, until then be blessed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd,
It is always awesome when the Lord speaks to one, especially when He confirms a call. We think the conference was worth it for you to attend for that reason alone. Everything else is dessert!! We pray that the conference activities continue to uplift and energize you for your ministry.

Anonymous said...

I know how great it is going by the sound of your voice when I talk to you. I am sooooo glad you went even though I would rather you be here. Keep seeking God's plan and enjoy the rest of the journey. The kids and I are doing fine; just missing you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd, This sounds like an outstanding event! I am so glad it is proving worthwhile. To have your call confirmed that way is imperative. I agree--this is you. Go for it and let me know how I can help you. I just now am catching up on your posts since I was out of town myself. Can't wait to hear what you are learning about technology. We need to use it for our adults too! Robert